Many of us can still recollect the first game we played, or picking up a controller and thinking “Wow, I was born for this”. But have you ever spared a thought for the companies feeding your WoW addiction? Or how CD Projekt Red rose to fame? What about the genesis of the Unreal engine? Well sit back, grab a bowl of popcorn and relax as Andrew takes a trip down memory lane.
This is a list of how 10 video game companies became household names. There’s heated drama, insane development schedules, and gossip-worthy talking points. Did you know FromSoftare, the creator behind the notoriously difficult Dark Souls series got its start making office software? And Sega isn’t actually as Japanese as it sounds? It’s true. Before creating an English-speaking Italian plumber who defends royalty and gets possessed by headwear, Nintendo was big on playing cards. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s glad they switched things up.
- FromSoftware Reaffirms End of Dark Souls Franchise; Studio Wants to Take on ‘Fresh Experiences’
- The Commandos revival stays true to its roots – partly thanks to Dark Souls
- Dark Souls Remastered Released Date Announced for the Switch; Solaire of Astora Amiibo to Launch Alongside
- Dark Souls’ narrator lends her voice for a Let’s Play channel from former IGN staffers
- Elden Ring is FromSoft’s biggest game yet and work started two years ago