Its No. 1 spot is a little surprising. The game officially launched at the end of the month, on Feb. 22 (certain pre-orders, EA Access, and Origin Premier Members got an early start, though). It’s also been plagued by middling reviews and numerous bugs since then. The biggest issue is reportedly making some PS4 consoles crash while people are playing. BioWare is currently working on a fix. Then, there’s the bug that’s causing a Level 1 rifle to out-damage everything else in the game. “Anthem’s” demos were plagued with problems, but all of that apparently hasn’t stopped a lot of people from downloading and playing it anyway.
“Jump Force,” “Grand Theft Auto V,” “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege,” and “Kingdom Hearts III” round out the top five downloaded PS4 games last month.
Meanwhile, Respawn Entertainment’s popular new battle royale title “Apex Legends” was the top free-to-play downloaded title on the PlayStation Store in February. Set in the “Titanfall” universe, it combines the usual last-man-standing gameplay of battle royale titles like “Fortnite” and “PUBG” and combines them with a roster of unique heroes, similar to Blizzard Entertainment’s team-based shooter “Overwatch.” Respawn surprised everyone by releasing the game with no pre-hype on Feb. 4. It’s become a bit of a phenomenon since then, reaching 50 million players in less than 30 days. For comparison, it took “Fortnite” about 100 days to reach 45 million players.
Here is Sony’s full lists of the top downloaded PS4 games and free-to-play games on the PlayStation Store in February:
- “Jump Force”
- “Grand Theft Auto V”
- “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege”
- “Kingdom Hearts III”
- “Far Cry 5”
- “NBA 2K19”
- “Far Cry New Dawn”
- “FIFA 19”
- “Red Dead Redemption 2”
- “Apex Legends”
- “Realm Royale”
- “H1Z1: Battle Royale”
- “DC Universe Online Free-to-Play”
- PlayStation Top Downloads of February 2019 Put Anthem, Jump Force, and Apex Legends at the Top of the Lists
- PlayStation Details the Top Downloads of the Month for October 2019, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Ranks First
- PlayStation Details Top Downloads of the Month for May 2019; Minecraft: PS4 Edition Takes Number One Spot
- Anthem Snatches First Place for NPD’s February 2019 Chart; Metro Exodus at Eighth Place
- PlayStation Store January’s Top Downloads Include Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2, and GTA V; Full Lists Detailed