As cryptocurrency continues to seize global attention, Atari has revealed plans to join the digital currency movement with “Atari Tokens”. It’s a far cry from the simplicity of Pong and its more recent efforts to crowdfund a comeback console, but the video game corporation hopes its investment in blockchain technology will be financally expedient. So far, it’s been a considerable success, with company shares experiencing growth of more than 60%.
Atari CEO Frederic Chesnais said blockchain tech was on the verge of revolutionising the current economic system, including online transactions and how we purchase video games. Essentially, the Atari Coin is a risk-averse way of invading new, more lucrative spaces:
“Our aim is to take strategic positions with a limited cash risk, in order to best create value with the assets and the Atari brand.”
Last December, Atari stalled the indiegogo launch for its upcoming Ataribox console due to an unspecified key element not being ready. Stay tuned to Gameranx for the latest developments on that front.
- Atari VCS Announced During Game Developers Conference
- Atari Unveils Its First Console In 20 Years
- Learn Ethereum Development – Build Decentralized Blockchain Apps
- Atari Pauses Ataribox Indiegogo Launch; Delays Pre-Orders for Reasons Unknown
- Bluetooth Powered Atari Speakerhats Receive Special Discount