Personally, when I heard that Atari was to release a brand new console and that it was going to be partly crowdfunded, I was highly skeptical that this project was ever going to happen, especially considering how the OUYA went down a couple years back – now it seems that this idea is actually happening, Atari will open pre-orders for the Ataribox December 14th.
Prices vary between $250 and $300 depending on the model you choose, and will only be available digitally via the indiegogo campaign page, a retail release hasn’t been planned, but I’m sure we can expect one if this project actually makes it off the ground.
Specifically speaking the console is basically just a custom Linux PC with a new interface and sleek exterior reminiscent of the classic Atari 2600. Considering how well the Steam box performed, the price $300, and that the specifics aren’t really worth the price (you could custom build a PC with better features tbh.) I’m not too sure what’s keeping gamers from purchasing a Switch, Xbox One or PS4 instead of this console.
Interested in trying out the Ataribox? Check out the indiegogo page, here.
- Atari Pauses Ataribox Indiegogo Launch; Delays Pre-Orders for Reasons Unknown
- Atari has a Crack at Cryptocurrency, Shares Skyrocket
- Bluetooth Powered Atari Speakerhats Receive Special Discount
- New Wave Toys & Atari Partner Up For ‘RepliCade’ Wooden Cabinets
- Payday 2 Physical Release For Switch Will Likely Cost $49.99