Last July, Twitter denizens relished a hilarious improvisational thread between fantasy authors Chuck Wendig and Sam Sykes, in which the latter was a summer camp counselor in the midst of a massacre, wondering if, you know, he might be the killer. Now, Wendig has announced on his website that the impromptu story is a feature-length slasher film: You Might Be the Killer, starring Whedonverse superstar Alyson Hannigan (Buffy, How I Met Your Mother) and Fran Kranz (Cabin in the Woods).
The trailer just dropped, and it looks like it could be a hoot—like a low-budget Scream or Cabin in the Woods. Hannigan plays Chuck—sporting a mug quoting Scream quoting Psycho—who gets a panicked call from her friend Sam, covered in blood, who informs her that “everyone’s dead” and there’s a serial killer on the loose. “Sometimes that happens,” Chuck deadpans. “Especially the counselors.” It remains to be seen whether the inventiveness of a Twitter thread can translate to a feature film, but Sykes and Wendig produced the film, so we’re hopeful the bonkers joy of the original thread should survive intact.
You Might be the Killer will premier at the Fantastic Film Fest in Austin on September 21. Here’s hoping it finds a distributor fast so we can all revel in its gory absurdity.
- Twitter-inspired You Might Be the Killer is coming to Syfy this weekend
- A time loop meets the multiverse in Happy Death Day 2U’s first trailer
- Voxel Slasher Slayaway Camp: Butcher’s Cut Comes to Consoles
- Night in the Woods Wallpapers in Ultra HD | 4K
- Sony tries to upload movie trailer to YouTube, posts entire movie instead