Player count for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s battle royale mode, Blackout, has been the biggest detail we’ve been waiting to here, and now we finally know what to expect – sort of. The beta for Blackout will host 80 players, but Treyarch suggests that number is subject to change, and the studio has tested larger matches.
“What’s really more important to us than a number is that the gameplay experience is as refined as it can be, that’s it the ideal perfect format for what players are going to play,” co-studio head Dan Bunting says. “So we’re starting with 80 players, but we’ve gone higher than that.”
As Bunting tells Game Informer, “Whenever we launch a game as a beta or whatever, that’s the beginning of something. We’re going to actively be participating in the community and taking feedback, making changes and adapting, evolving the game as feedback rolls in. So there’s a lot that can go on that can happen beyond that first impact of the game going out there.”
Blackout will offer more than just PvP, though – it also has zombies. The battle royale mode draws from previous Black Ops locations, characters, and weapons, and it seems that goes so far as to include undead AI throughout the map. We’ll apparently find out more details on how that works throughout the week, but for now we only know that the zombies won’t be coming in wave-based survival flavour.
The Blackout beta begins on September 15, and on PC it will be open for everybody whether you’ve pre-ordered or not. Your Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 release date is scheduled for October 12, and with so little time between the two releases I wouldn’t expect a significant change from one to the next.
- Call of Duty Black Ops 4: Black Out Player Count Revealed; Beta Coming Next Week
- Here’s Our First Look At Call of Duty Black Ops 4: Blackout Gameplay
- Activision Announces Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Beta Start Date; Begins on PS4 First, Other Consoles to Follow
- Call of Duty Officially Unveils the Official Map for Their Battle Royale Mode, Blackout
- Black Ops 4’s battle royale beta is now the top game on Twitch