We knew a Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout beta was on the way, and now we know when – sort of. Activision and Treyarch have confirmed a September 10 date for the early look at battle royale, though as usual that’s the date for early access on PlayStation 4, with “other platforms to follow.”
The PC version of the previous beta came one week after the PS4 preview launched, so it’s fair to expect a similar treatment here. On consoles, the betas was been available exclusively to those who pre-order, while on PC that netted you an extra day of access before the beta went entirely open. Whether that’s the case here remains to be seen.
This teaser does reveal one pertinent detail: modes of play. You’ll be able to hop into Solos, Duos, and Quads when the mode launches. No, that’s not a typo – the largest group mode is indeed a “quad,” drifting ever so slightly away from the nomenclature PUBG and Fortnite have popularized. Otherwise, it’s what we’ve come to expect from the genre.
If you played the previous beta and want in on the next, Treyarch suggests you don’t uninstall just yet. On Reddit, the developer says the existing client will be updated will be updated when the Blackout beta goes live, which should save a few gigs when the time comes.
— Call of Duty (@CallofDuty) August 14, 2018
Check out the beta system requirements if you wanna make sure you can run it – though pre-release, those specs are subject to change, especially as we move to play on a much larger map. The Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 release date is set for October 12, and you can follow that link for much more on everything we know about the game.
- 60fps “is the target” for Black Ops 4’s Blackout mode, but it’s a “hard” challenge
- Here’s Our First Look At Call of Duty Black Ops 4: Blackout Gameplay
- Activision Announces Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Beta Start Date; Begins on PS4 First, Other Consoles to Follow
- Here’s your first look at Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 battle royale gameplay
- Call of Duty Officially Unveils the Official Map for Their Battle Royale Mode, Blackout