News

Blizzard confirms “multiple Diablo projects” in production, news by end of 2018

Enlarge / Necromancer-themed art from Diablo III‘s last expansion.

A brief Wednesday video from Blizzard Entertainment confirmed some not-very-surprising news: the company is still working on the Diablo series. Today’s hint was the first to confirm “multiple Diablo projects” in production, however, with a tease of a larger reveal by year’s end.

“The forges here at Blizzard are burning hot, and we have multiple Diablo projects in the works,” community manager Brandy Camel said at the game’s Facebook page. “Some of them are going to take longer than others, but we may have some things to show you later this year. We hope you stay tuned while we work to bring these Diablo experiences to life.”

The one-minute video also included a mention of Diablo III‘s current 14th “season” of content and quests, which Camel notes is the company’s first stab at a “themed” season. More themed seasons will come soon, Camel says, but this video’s timing is curious, as the 14th season has been live for nearly two months as of press time.

Exactly what those projects-plural could be is anyone’s guess. A Nintendo Switch port, as has long been rumored? A smartphone-optimized version to cash in on Fortnite‘s gold rush of money-spending smartphone owners? A dip into the Diablo archives, thus fulfilling Blizzard’s previous hints at more “Blizzard Classic” games after StarCraft 1‘s remaster launched last year? A full-blown sequel? We already knew at least one Diablo-affiliated project was in the works by way of a 2016 job listing for a series director to “lead the Diablo series into the future,” but that was never followed by a revealing leak via, say, someone’s updated LinkedIn profile.