Mike Pondsmith, creator of the original Cyberpunk 2020 pen & paper RPG, has hinted that there might be a new tabletop release to tie in with Cyberpunk 2077.
CD Projekt Red’s game is directly based on Pondsmith’s legendary dark noir, cyberpunk tabletop RPG series and the game designer is currently working with the studio to help with the world building and development of the game. The series has been through three iterations, Cyberpunk 2013, Cyberpunk 2020 and now Cyberpunk 2077 being next in line.
At PAX West, Pondsmith was asked by an audience member if there will be a pen and paper RPG that takes place in the Cyberpunk 2077 universe to which he replied with, “No comment. But probably, likely.”
Whether this new pen & paper adaptation will materialise is still unconfirmed, but considering we still don’t know the videogame’s release date it could be a while until it even gets an official announcement.
If you wanted to know more about the Cyberpunk tabletop game, here is a list of the Cyberpunk classes that will make the jump to the videogame.
Pondsmith has turned down many offers to make videogame adaptations from his Cyberpunk universe over the years but agreed to work with CD Projekt Red because they “knew the material and they loved the material as fans”. Pondsmith got along well with Projekt Red and said that the studio, “liked it, loved it, had lived it”.
- Cyberpunk 2077 is “inherently political,” says CD Projekt Red
- CyberPunk 2077 Sends Out First Tweet In Over 3 Years
- CyberPunk 2077 Could Release On Both Current And Next Generation Platforms
- CD Projekt Red Looking For “Stunning” Ingame Animations For Cyberpunk 2077
- Player Choices in Cyberpunk 2077 Will Have More Impact Than They Had in the Witcher Series