EA Sports’ FIFA franchise originally started back in the 1990s, with Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer franchise acting as its most fierce competitor in the football gaming market. Over the years, they continuously exchanged dominance in the market, however, over the last few years, FIFA proved itself as the number one football game.
The studio recently released an official press release with a number of interesting statistics. Although part of the community pointed out the flaws in the series’ latest iteration, FIFA 18, it still sold outstandingly well. FIFA 18 managed to sell over 24 million copies, contributing to the franchise’s total of over 260 million units sold since the franchise’s first instalment back in 1993.
- EA SPORTS FIFA 18 has sold over 24 million copies to date, with players playing more than 7 billion matches and scoring over 17 billion goals since launch.
- EA SPORTS FIFA continues to be the best-selling sports video game of all-time, with over 260 million units sold across the franchise to date.
- FIFA Ultimate Team (“FUT”) continues to be one of the most popular modes in FIFA, and FUT 18 fans have created over 13 million clubs within the mode.
- The EA SPORTS FIFA 18 Global Series had more than 20 million players competing in competitive gaming events across FIFA 18 and FIFA Online 3, with players across 60 countries around the world.
- FIFA Mobile has surpassed 193 million installs worldwide, and in the recently launched FIFA Mobile game in China fans have played over 900 million sessions.
- FIFA Online 3 and FIFA Online 4 continue to be immensely popular across Asia with more than 115 million registered players and over 15 billion sessions played.
FIFA 19 releases on the PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC on September 28. In other news, FIFA 19’s development team confirmed they won’t implement VAR since the game naturally has an AI capable of tracking fouls and dangerous tackles.
[Source: Official press release]
- Uncharted Franchise Surpasses 41.7 Million Units Sold
- Sonic the Hedgehog’s total sales have topped 800 million
- Horizon Zero Dawn Worldwide Sales Estimated At 4 Million Units
- PS4 Sold 5.9 Million Units Over Holidays
- Super Mario Odyssey Sells 2 Million Copies in Just Three Days