Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Santa Monica Studio’s Creative Director Cory Barlog was recently featured in a 100-question quickfire Q&A session with Game Informer, where he revealed some interesting details regarding God of War’s voice acting, gameplay, story and other miscellaneous tidbits.
Barlog revealed that Kratos’ son, Atreus, can’t be killed. He continued to reveal that players will mostly spend “25-30% of the game on a boat,” and surprisingly, there will be unlockable costumes. Here is a summary of the Q&A session, courtesy of PlayStation Lifestyle:
- Cory Barlog has been called Cory “Balrog” millions of times.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, God of War will be a 10 in the surprise factor.
- We’ll find out what happened to Kratos’ old weapons (was asked about multiple times. This seems important to the story).
- Kratos has killed 3,432 people (sure Barlog. We’re pretty sure you just pulled that number out of your ass).
- Kratos is still a god, and is still immortal.
- Atreus was the product of love, not a mini-game.
- Atreus cannot be killed via gameplay.
- Atreus does not know why Kratos is ash white.
- The bit from E3 2016 is still in the game, but is has been changed.
- You spend 25-30% of the game on a boat.
- Kratos’ ax’s name is Leviathan, and it will chop down a tree in the game.
- Cory Barlog’s favorite father/son story is The Road.
- The ash that covers Kratos is fading a little bit over time.
- Kratos experiences anger, sadness, and contemplation, but never boredom.
- Kratos only knows two Old Norse/Scandinavian words.
- Atreus will get stronger throughout the game.
- The biggest franchise shakeup since God of War: Betrayal (the mobile game).
- There are voice actors that will be reprising their roles from previous God of War games.
- Atreus is part god.
- The game is one long continuous shot.
- The title screen will not just be a giant Kratos head.
- There is a map in the game.
- There are a lot of NPCs, and they have a nickname for Kratos (it’s not Snowskin).
- When asked “Will Kratos ever come to the modern day, where money is our god?” Barlog answered “Yes.” Joking answer, or hint?
- Kratos is a good dad.
- There will be unlockable costumes.
- Kratos still has his stomach scar from being stabbed by Zeus.
- There are a lot of puzzles and sidequests (which Barlog insists are not called “sidequests” in the game).
- They game will come out when it’s done.
In other news, we recently got to know God of War’s ESRB rating, and the description was pretty interesting to say the least. God of War releases exclusively for PS4 in 2018.
- Five Sequels Planned For God of War
- Watch – The First 20 Minutes of God Of War
- God of War Almost Featured Egyptian Mythology
- God of War Director Compares Combat Mechanics to Football Games; Discusses Connection Between Kratos and Player
- ‘God Of War’ PS4 Release Date Finally Announced