GTA V the third-person shooter from Rockstar Games has officially become the highest grossing piece of media content – of all time. This means that GTA V has earned more money than films such as Star Wars or Avatar. GTA V released back in 2013 and has since sold about 90 million copies, resulting in around 6 billion USD in revenue.
To give a comparison, films like Star Wars or Gone with The Wind only managed to make $3 billion.
“Far above the success of blockbuster movies like “Star Wars” or “Gone With The Wind,” which both collected more than $3 billion, adjusted for inflation”, website MarketWatch writes. “Even taking into account DVD and streaming sales would not put the biggest movie blockbusters in GTA V’s neighborhood, said Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, estimating those sales might add up to $1 billion to the films’ totals.”
“I think it’s a wild outlier,” the analyst told MarketWatch in an interview over the phone. “I think maybe with the exception something Nintendo has made—Mario Brothers—but aside from that there’s never been a console game that’s sold so many units.”
Thoughts on GTA V’s massive success? Let us know in the comments below.
- Original Star Wars movies blocked from Disney streaming until 2024
- EA Analysts Lower Company’s Profit Forecast for FY2018 Due to Need for Speed Payback and Battlefront II Reception
- Report: Lucasfilm puts Obi-Wan film “on hold” after underwhelming Solo debut
- US Video Games Industry Earned Record $36 Billion During 2017
- Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass Is Free On PS4