Fans of Square Enix’s Kingdom Hearts III, the third main instalment in the franchise and twelfth in total, were anticipating a 2018 release date announcement, however, the team didn’t feel it was the right time.
Director Tetsuya Nomura spoke with IGN at the E3 2018, where he clarified the reason behind the team’s decision, with everybody from hardware manufacturers to sales teams recommending the game’s delay.
The timing of release that we were actually looking at, we were told by many people, including hardware manufacturers, marketing teams, sales teams that it just wasn’t a good timing in the year.
Nomura also sat down with Game Informer, and he stayed tight lipped regarding unannounced characters still coming to the game’s roster.
I can’t really talk about any of the characters that have not been announced or shown yet, but just looking at Kingdom Hearts 1 compared to when that was released, there’s so many different titles with Final Fantasy characters or where all of these characters come together. I don’t feel that much of necessity of bringing these characters together like I did before. However, if you could look forward to information in the future, that would be great.
Kingdom Hearts III releases on January 29th, 2019 for PS4 and Xbox One.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Deluxe Edition Bundle Revealed During E3
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Officially Goes Gold; Director Takes To Twitter to Announce and Release An Extended Trailer
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Will Include Backstory For Newcomers
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Final Battle Trailer Released; Showcases Stitch, Ratatouille, and More Iconic Characters
- Liveblog: Square Enix’s E3 2018 press conference