US toy manufacturer Mattel has revealed that the latest incarnation of its iconic fashion doll Barbie will be none other than Lara Croft. The model is styled after Alicia Vikander, who will play the Tomb Raider heroine in Roar Uthaug’s upcoming action-adventure film.
The figurine sports a grey tank top and khaki green pants combo, which was first introduced in the 2013 video game reboot Tomb Raider, and carried over to sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider. Lara’s climbing axe is included, as well as a map, leather journal, bandage and brown combat boots (both detachable). Unfortunately, there’s no bow and arrow, but there’s always a chance we’ll see them in newer models. It will retail for $29.99 USD.
We caught up with Lara at the Mattel Collector Event earlier today to discuss her Barbie debut.
Gameranx: What inspired your decision to approach Mattel?
Lara Croft: Well, I woke up one morning and I just hated everything. I mean, I hate tombs. It was only logical to try something new, and after being denied a proper opportunity to indulge in fashion — I get changed around a camp fire for goodness sake — it was time.
Gameranx: Are you excited to be starring in a major motion picture?
Lara Croft: And get the chance to say “Run you bastards, I’m coming for you all!” again? Absolutely.
The Tomb Raider film arrives next month.
- Remastered Tomb Raider Trilogy Bringing Twin Pistols to Steam
- Square Enix Tantalises Tomb Raider Fans With Suspiciously Worded Post
- Square Enix Officially Announces ‘Shadow Of The Tomb Raider’
- Tomb Raider 3 Unity Fan Remake Creator Promises Reveal Near New Year’s; Demo Releases in February
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Teaser Trailer, Release Leaked