Although lootboxes are a reliable business model and help studios maintain a steady flow of income after release, it is usually frowned upon once they affect progression or give paying players an unfair advantage in multiplayer modes.
Well, the newly announced Need for Speed Heat won’t feature any lootboxes. However, the studio will release post-launch content in the form of car packs, in addition to “time-save pack.” The latter will help players spot collectables around the game’s world.
We plan to have post launch paid-DLC in the form of car packs. Later this year, we’ll introduce a time-save pack, that will show all collectables on the map. Honestly, that’s it. […] There are no loot boxes in NFS Heat and there won’t be.
Not only that, the studio confirmed all of the customisation options are up for grabs if you are skilled enough to race for them and win.
Customisation options are earned through the completion of in-game events. For example, you spot a street race on your map and notice it has a new performance part up for grabs. Win the race, win the part. Speed cards from NFS Payback are gone.
Need for Speed Heat releases on PS4, Xbox One, and PC on November 8th.
- Need for Speed: Heat will have series’ best weather yet, Rivals-style heat multipliers
- Need for Speed Heat Launch Trailer Follows Tense Cop Chase Through Palm City
- Review Roundup: Need For Speed: Heat is One of the More Impressive Titles in the Long-Running Franchise
- Rainbow Six Siege gets new cosmetic loot boxes for the Six Invitational
- The Avengers has “different skins and outfits,” but they won’t affect gameplay