Despite the massive performance of the NES classic (outselling both the Xbox One and PS4 in April, 2017) the console was suddenly discontinued at the height of its success to focus resources elsewhere.
At the time, Nintendo’s president gave this statement regarding the discontinuation:
“We had originally planned for this to be a product for last holiday. We just didn’t anticipate how incredible the response would be. Once we saw that response, we added shipments and extended the product for as long as we could to meet more of that consumer demand.”
“Even with that extraordinary level of performance, we understand that people are frustrated about not being able to find the system, and for that we really do apologize. But from our perspective, it’s important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive. We’ve got a lot going on right now and we don’t have unlimited resources.”
Now the console is set to make a comeback. Taking to Twitter, the official Nintendo America account tweeted the console’s return along with a release date of June 29th.
Will you be picking up a console? Let us know down in the comments below.
- Nintendo Clarifies Why They Discontinued The NES Classic
- A year ago, the NES Classic flew off the shelves—now it’s coming back
- Nintendo Is Bringing Back The NES Classic In 2018
- Nintendo Announces Special SNES-Themed 3DS XL
- Nintendo Suddenly Announces It Will Discontinue The NES Classic