Mario Kart is gearing up for the mobile circuit.
Nintendo announced during its latest financial results briefing that the long-running racing series will be coming to mobile devices in a new game called Mario Kart Tour. The game is currently in active development and is set for release sometime during the next fiscal year, which runs from April 2018 to March 2019.
Additional details will be revealed at a later date.
Interestingly, news of Mario Kart Tour comes just days after Nintendo’s announcement that the company’s first smartphone app, Miitomo, will be shut down on May 9. Given the past success of Mario Kart titles on handheld platforms such as the Nintendo DS and 3DS, it’s hard to imagine Mario Kart Tour suffering a similar fate, but anything is possible.
That being said, Mario Kart Tour will have its work cut out for it in trying to live up to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch, which is arguably the greatest Mario Kart game of all time.
Follow me on Twitter at Nick_Steinberg.
- Nintendo’s First Mobile Racer is “Mario Kart Tour”
- Nintendo To Support The Switch For More Than 5-6 Years
- Rumor: Nintendo Seeks New Smartphone Video Game Developers
- ‘Mario Kart 8’ Reportedly Coming To Nintendo Switch With Tons Of New Content
- Nintendo: ‘Super Mario Kart’ Was Originally An ‘F-Zero’ Multiplayer Mode