It’s no secret that Sony has been keeping its player base from mixing with other platforms, and with the recent announcement of Fortnite cross-play with Switch and various other platforms, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aim has reiterated Xbox Boss Phil Spencer’s frustration with Sony’s refusal to join in on cross-play, stating that there isn’t much that they can do.
Speaking to Polygon, Reggie stated:
“You have companies like mine that encourage cross-play and enable cross-play. You have a developer and content owner that wants cross-play and is encouraging cross-play, and then you have the other platform holders and what it is that they do. And when it comes to other platform holders, as much as you have influence on other platform holders, I don’t. And that’s a decision that each of them are making, and some are supporting cross-play and some are not.”
The only thing competing companies can really do is put the pressure on Sony to join in – but for now, it seems that there won’t be any console unity for quite some time.
- Daily Deal: Kitten And Tennis Ball Avatar Is Free On US PSN
- Sony Gives a Pretty Lame Excuse For Not Allowing Cross-Platform Play on the PS4
- Fortnite Nintendo Switch Lands 2 Million Downloads In A Day
- Sony is locking Fortnite accounts to PS4, and players are mad
- Sony’s walled garden cracks open: Cross-console play comes to PS4