Sony has announced that more than 5.9 million PlayStation 4 consoles were sold through to customers worldwide during the holiday 2017 season.
Additionally, the company announced that, as of December 31 2017, total global sales of the PS4 (that includes all models, including the PS4 Pro) eclipsed 73.6 million units. This means that the PS4 is now the 10th best-selling video game console of all time.
While Sony’s current-generation console continued to perform strongly in its fifth holiday season, it did experience a slight dip compared to the same period in 2016, when Sony sold 6.2 million units worldwide. Sony didn’t provide any reasons for the drop but having an older product and steep competition from the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One X were surely contributing factors.
Other PlayStation stats for the holidays include 55.9 million PS4 games sold across the world in retail stores and digitally via PlayStation Store. In all, 645 million games have been sold as of December 31. PlayStation Plus subscriber numbers also reached 31.5 million during the period.
- PS4 Sold 5.9 Million Units Over Holidays
- Nintendo Switch Sales Hit The 10 Million Mark In Only 9 Months
- Nintendo Switch Expected To Surpass Wii U Lifetime Sales By April 2018
- The PS4 Has Officially Overtaken The PS3
- The Nintendo Switch Hits Another Major Sales Milestone