Sadly, developer Double Fine announced they are indefinitely delaying the release of Psychonauts 2.
Psychonauts 2 was planned for a 2018 release, but according to the company’s latest update, it won’t be possible. The reason of the delay is mainly to allow the studio to deliver a sequel worthy of Psychonauts and to give more time for the development team to produce a better game overall.
Now we are in full swing, we know a lot more about the size and scope of the game we are going to make, how long it will take us to make it, and the amount of time we need to make it be great. From those projections we know that Psychonauts 2 will not be shipping in 2018, like we originally estimated when we published the Fig campaign two years ago.
We love the game we’re making and we want to make sure that Psychonauts 2 is something you’ll love too — a game that carries on the legacy of Psychonauts in a meaningful and special way. We’re making great progress, but we want to make sure the game has the time it needs to shine.
We’re sorry that you’ll have to wait a little longer than we first estimated, but we’re also hopeful that you’ll understand it will mean being able to deliver a better game. We’re really excited about the things we’re making, and we can’t wait to share them with you!
The update post also introduced the Aquato family as well as detailed how the studio will handle delivering rewards to the game’s original backers. In the meantime, meet the Aquato family in the video below.
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Gets Delayed to 2019
- Kingdom Come Deliverance 23GB Day One Patch Explained By Devs
- This War of Mine Dev Reveals Frostpunk Release Date; New Release Date Trailer Revealed
- Blizzard Updates Overwatch’s Lore; A Letter From Torbjorn to His Wife
- Former Ubisoft and The Division Devs Form New Studio; Plans for Multiplayer Title Based on “Cult-Classic” IP