Studio MONO, a small development studio, first revealed their title on Kickstarter in April 2016. A retrofuturistic sci-fi RPG titled INSOMNIA: The Ark.
INSOMNIA: The Ark takes place in a “colossal space metropolis” where players are free to explore its land and unravel its secrets, but at the price of their safety. The game features basic RPG mechanics, which allows players to develop their characters, upgrade their gear, craft essential tools for survival and complete quests for intriguing characters within the game’s world.
INSOMNIA is a complex story-driven RPG that takes place on a colossal space metropolis brimming with the secrets of a long-gone civilization. Develop your character, explore lovingly handcrafted locations, interact with peculiar NPCs and factions, craft equipment and try to stay alive.
You awaken on Object 6 – a retro-futuristic space station set on a 400-year journey in search of a new home. Stricken with a rare psychological disease, you have to uncover macabre secrets and the truth behind humanity’s journey to the ghost-like Evacuation Point.
- Exploration is rewarding… and dangerous. Search for valuable technology and resources in the confines of Object 6. Pay attention – INSOMNIA‘s nuanced world can conceal unexpected quests from treacherous characters, as well as savage enemies and deadly hazards. Hunger, thirst, fatigue and hostile environments will be your main companions throughout this journey.
- Personalized journey. Break free from character classes and unwanted grind with a flexible perk system combined with a huge amount of craftable items and equipment for an experience unique to every player.
- Your choices matter. INSOMNIA offers an intricate, non-linear storyline with ‘points of no return’. Navigate a system of thorny relations with characters and factions and make tough decisions that affect the game world. Each major problem can be solved using a variety of different (and sometimes unexpected) solutions.
- Strategic real-time combat. INSOMNIA features both close and ranged combat, as well as destroyable covers. Choose your gear wisely – every armor and weapon type in the game has its own tactical virtues and shortcomings.
- A rich universe. Experience the game’s rich lore through retro-futuristic noir visuals with elements of dieselpunk. Witness man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark noir jazz soundtrack and echoes of a decaying civilization.
INSOMNIA: The Ark’s closed beta takes place later this month, on May 31st, but limited only to their Kickstarter backers.