Developer Re-Logic released Terraria back in 2011, and over the years it managed to arrive on PS3, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and other platforms. Back in February 2017, Terraria surpassed the 20 million copies sold milestone, as well as providing an impressive number of statistics throughout its journey.
In 2015, Re-Logic announced Terraria: Otherworld. Sadly, its development has come to an end. The studio provided a lengthy statement, clarifying how the game’s development wasn’t up to the standards they set for themselves and their fans. However, they admitted their mistakes and made sure to learn from them and promises to never commit them again in future projects.
We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.
- In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional roller coaster this caused.
- Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.
- Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.
- Active development of Terraria continues – 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.
- This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.
Are you disappointed Terraria: Otherworld got cancelled?
- Blizzard is creating a new, shared game engine
- 158 employees affected as Capcom shuts down Dead Rising studio
- REPORT: Nintendo To Release SNES Classic Edition This Year
- Life is Strange 2 devs have three unannounced games in development
- Head of Ubisoft Discusses The Benefits and Struggles of Having 12,000 Employees