Giving entirely new meaning to pop star Mariah Carey’s catchy Christmas jingle, around 350,000 viewers tuned in on Twitch to collectively gaze at Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan relaxing in a leather chair while a fire crackled ambiently in the background.
He is accompanied by a basic Overwatch mug (likely filled with creamy, cold dairy milk) and a tiny Pachimari plush.
In a remarkable feat of mental fortitude, Kaplan resists the temptation of devouring a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that lies just inches from his hands.
At one stage, he is assaulted by a boom mic and loses his glasses, but presses on with his mission.
The viewership figures—which apparently peaked at roughly 39K—have not been falsified. So if you were of the belief people only wanted to play Overwatch during the holiday season, this marathon stream is incontrovertible proof of the contrary. It also demonstrates an effective manipulation of one of the most important pillars in narrative design: suspense. Silence is golden. Kaplan and co have out Kojima’d Kojima. Is this merely a stunt, or a covert marketing tactic to further drive up numbers in the 35 million strong playerbase? Please share your theories below.
- Jeff Kaplan Talks About Overwatch Changes To Junkrat and Mercy
- Overwatch Is Gifting Away 5 Free Lootboxes
- Overwatch To Get “A Ton of New Content” According To Jeff Kaplan
- Overwatch Director Comments on Demanding Fans; Sometimes Dealing With Them Is “Downright Scary”
- Overwatch Gets New Skins Today; Marks The Start of A New League