Developer Ys Net recently posted a development update video to their backers on Kickstarter, with director Yu Suzuki giving fans an update on the game’s development status, character development, voice actors and combat mechanics.
The most interesting part was the combat mechanics, since Suzuki wants “to do something a little different with the battles.” He wants to make the title’s combat his own by adding puzzle-like elements, quick time events, “alongside some other things.” The combat will feature a “strong emphasis on choreography.”
I want to do something a little different with the battles. When it comes to fighting, there are things that I want to make my own, so I was thinking of doing things a bit different from last time. We have been running some tests, and well, it’s not a game like Virtua Fighter that is about timing. So, I hope it will take the form of a puzzle game that anyone can play with a strong emphasis on choreography.
[Battles] may be influenced by whether you pick up some item, and so on, incorporating more puzzle-type elements. That’s what I would like to do. And [quick time events], alongside some other things.
Back in August 2017, the studio revealed the title will feel 70% like the original title. Shenmue III releases some time this year for PS4 and PC.
- Games With Gold July Announced; Includes Assault Android and Splinter Cell Conviction
- ‘Shenmue 3’ Hit With Massive Delay
- Daily Deal: Tekken 7 Is 51% Off On GamersGate
- Daily Deal: Tekken 7 (PS4/Xbox One) Is 50% Off At GameStop
- First-Person Puzzle Title The Spectrum Retreat Releases Later this Year; Comes from BAFTA Award Winner