Yes, a new Need for Speed is coming, and it’s coming this year. EA has made plans for a new entry in the racing series clear, but the publisher has been extremely quiet on the details. But it looks like the information drought is finally at an end, as there’s now a countdown pointing to a reveal this week for the latest Need for Speed.
The official Need for Speed website was updated with the countdown earlier today. The timer ends on Wednesday, August 14 at 5:00 PDT / 8:00 EDT / 13:00 BST. That’s several days ahead of Gamescom 2019, so it’s safe to expect more from the game at the conference. EA will be part of Geoff Keighley’s pre-Gamescom event on August 19, as well.
EA officially confirmed in its latest financial report that a new Need for Speed title is set to launch for consoles and PC sometime between October 1 and December 31 this year. (The same release window goes for the new Plants vs Zombies shooter, too.)
Apparent retail leaks suggested that this title would be called Need for Speed Heat, but it seems those listings were cobbled together from speculation and fan-made mockups.
The developers at Ghost Games have made a few comments about their plans for NFS 2019, which Reddit users have helpfully collected in one place. In short, it looks like it’ll be emulating the gameplay style of the 2015 title – certainly not the most beloved game in the series canon, but it would be a major step up from Payback.
- A New Need For Speed Game Will Be Revealed Leading Up To Gamescom 2019
- Review Roundup: Need For Speed: Heat is One of the More Impressive Titles in the Long-Running Franchise
- Need for Speed Heat Launch Trailer Follows Tense Cop Chase Through Palm City
- Need for Speed: Heat will have series’ best weather yet, Rivals-style heat multipliers
- Plants vs. Zombies Battle for the Neighborhood Trailer Leaks Confirming New Title in the Works