Grain is the most important resource in Stranded: Alien Dawn. It is used in a number of essential crafting recipes, including medicine and fuel. However, it can be hard to find if you don’t know where to look.
This guide to Stranded: Alien Dawn will tell you everything you need to know about getting Grain, from which plant to harvest and how to build Graincob Fields to the recipes you’ll use the resource for.
Observe and Harvest Tall Leafy Plant
Grain originally comes from the Tall Leafy plant. You can find it mainly during summertime, when it’s most abundant in the open grassy areas near forests.
The first thing to do is observe it:
- Point and click on the Tall Leafy Plant.
- Click on one of your survivors, who will observe the plant.
- Select “Observe” in the Research menu.
- Wait for observance to complete.
Once the observation is over, the plant will be recognized as the source of Graincob, a harvestable plant, which produces 10 Grain. Follow these steps to start harvesting Graincob:
- Select all the observed Graincob plants.
- Click on a survivor, who will be responsible for harvesting.
- Select “Harvest” in the Research menu.
Harvesting may take up to nine days, and you will get a 100% output from harvesting only at Farming Level 3. If you just researched Farming, then there is only a 70% chance that your harvested Graincobs will produce Grain.
It is highly recommended to level up your Farming skill as soon as possible, since it prevents your crops from being destroyed.
Build Graincob Fields
After observing and harvesting Tall Leafy Plant and Graincob in the wild, you will be able to cultivate Grain in your farming fields.
Here’s what you need to do to create a Graincob field:
- Go to “Farming” menu.
- Select “Graincob Field” option.
- Select a patch of land with 100% yield (bright-green color).
- Build a wood fence around the selected patch.
- Place a wood fence door to have access to the field.
Now your Graincob field will function as a fully fledged farm, regularly producing Grain for your crafting needs. If you want to yield the best results, then your soil must have the following optimal conditions for Graincob harvesting:
- Loam: 100%
- Clay: 40%
- Silt: 80%
- Sand: 15%
- Gravel: 5%
Lastly, the temperature must not fall below -2 degrees or go up above 50 degrees.
Grain Cooking Recipes
Here is a complete list of all cooking recipes that include Grain as one of their ingredients:
- Vegetable Oil: 20 Grain.
- Ale: 100 Grain.
- Antibiotics: 50 Grain.
- Grain Moonshine: 100 Grain.
- Grain Sweet Syrup: 20 Grain.
- Coffee: 20 Grain.
- Grain Porridge: 10 Grain.
- Bread: 10 Grain + 5 Oils and Fats.
- Buttermelon Pie: 10 Grain + 10 Buttermelon.
- Veggie Pizza: 10 Grain + 10 Beefberries.
- Fruitcake: 10 Fruits + 10 Grain + 5 Sweet Syrup.
- Mushroom Croquettes: 10 Glitter Caps + 10 Grain + 5 Oils and Fats.
That’s all you need to know on how to get Grain in Stranded: Alien Dawn. Stay tuned for more.