The DioField Chronicle gives you plenty of strategic options during battle, but by far one of the most powerful are Magilumic Orbs. These items essentially work like Summons in Final Fantasy and can devastate the enemy army or give your own a massive boost.
While Magilumic Orbs are already incredibly powerful to start, you can make them even more useful through upgrades. This guide for The DioField Chronicle tells you how to do that, as well as how to unlock all of the Orbs in the game.
How to Make Magilumic Orbs More Powerful
The DioField Chronicle will automatically walk you through the process of upgrading Magilumic Orbs, but you’ll have to make it to Chapter 2 first. Once there, talk to Iscarion, who will direct you to the Magilumic Researcher, giving you a basic rundown of how the upgrade process works.
However, you need two things to upgrade orbs:
- Gold: Always awarded by completing missions.
- Jade Crystals: Awarded for completing optional objectives.
Any time a mission has a treasure chest, opening it will award you one Jade Crystal. Alternatively, you can use Gold to purchase Jade Crystals at the shop, but this option only opens up starting in Chapter 5.
If you find yourself low on Gold, the best way to get more is to replay past missions, as each mission will give you the amount of Gold listed as a reward each time.
Once you have the supplies you need, head to the Institute, and open the “Magilumic Orb” option. Each orb has eight different upgrades that can be purchased; the cheapest will cost 1,500 Gold and 1 Jade Crystal, and the final upgrade will cost 20,000 Gold and 3 Crystals.
You can purchase these upgrades at any time; however, you’ll notice that the final three are initially locked. To unlock these upgrades, you’ll need to increase your Magilumic Orb Research Rank to Level Four, which is done by completing quests and paying to upgrade it. The quests where you pay to upgrade the rank will unlock as you complete story missions, as noted below:
- Rank 1: Chain of Captivity — Complete Nobleman is Coming in Chapter 1.
- Rank 2: Request: Additional Funds — Complete Harbinger of Unrest in Chapter 2.
- Rank 3: Urgent: Funds Depleted — Complete Defend Teggaria Base in Chapter 3.
- Rank 4: Emergency: Stolen Funds — Complete Recapture Teggaria in Chapter 4.
- Rank 5: Appeal: Last Push for Funds — Complete A Patriotic Future in Chapter 5.
How to Unlock All Magilumic Orbs in The DioField Chronicle
There are six Magilumic Orbs in The DioField Chronicle. The good news is that all of them will be unlocked automatically as you progress through the main story.
- Bahamut — Unlocked from beginning.
- Goldhorne — Reward for completing Coswell Volcano Expedition in Chapter 1.
- Fenrir — Reward for Completing Harbinger of Discord in Chapter 2.
- Salamander — Reward for completing Escort the Priests in Chapter 3.
- Coeurl — Reward for completing Survey for Jade in Chapter 4.
- Ouroboros — Reward for completing Mockery of an Alliance in Chapter 6.
That’s everything you might need to know about Magilumic Orbs in The DioField Chronicle. Make sure to check back for even more tips and guides.