Nintendo has announced today through their financial results briefing, that development on the animated Super Mario Bros. film with Illumination will be moving forward.
The news of Illumination helming a Super Mario Bros. movie broke last year and has been quiet since. President Shuntaro Furukawa confirmed that the movie is set to release in theaters around 2022.
Universal and Nintendo will be co-finance the movie, while Universal distributes the film into theaters. With that being said, we probably won’t hear too much about the movie for a little while, but it is nice to get a release window set for the movie. Illumination is best known for their work on Despicable Me, Minions, and Sing! They also worked out the recently released Grinch movie.
Illumination is a great animation studio and with them helming the project, Mario fans should rest easy. The highly anticipated Super Mario Bros. film is set to release sometime in 2022. Are you excited for the upcoming Super Mario Bros. movie? Let us know in the comments below!
- Miyamoto Wanted “A Film Expert” for Upcoming Mario Flick
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe Launch Trailer Released, Game Now Available for Nintendo Switch
- DOOM Is Getting A New Movie From Universal
- Nintendo’s First Mobile Racer is “Mario Kart Tour”
- Two New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe Trailer Released, Watch Here