If you’ve had a few too many Skyrim playthroughs break down when you get bored of crafting endless daggers to boost your smithing skill, you might be interested in a new challenge with an entirely new sort of skill-building. The Apprenticeship mod gives you exactly that, by forcing you to seek out skill trainers when you want to get stronger.
With Apprenticeship installed, your skills no longer improve just for using them, so no matter how long you stand around getting slapped by that draugr, your heavy armor aptitude will not increase. Instead, you’ve got to either pick up a skill book or go meet a trainer in order to purchase further experience in that skill.
If that sounds like the sort of challenge you’re into, you can grab Apprenticeship over at Nexus Mods. “To make this system a little more accessible at higher levels,” mod creator Rustytater95 notes, “all trainers have been bumped up to Master level.”
Further updates may add additional trainers, though this is intended “a sort of proof of concept for a bigger project” the same modder is working on.
Check out some Skywind gameplay if you’re looking for a taste of a much more substantial mod – the Skyrim community has you covered at every scale now.
- This Skyrim mod adds Baldur’s Gate-style NPCs to Tamriel
- These Skyrim mods bring the Game of Thrones Starbucks cup to Tamriel
- The latest Unofficial Skyrim Patch brings two dozen more fixes for SSE
- This Skyrim reputation mod can make the world love or hate you
- This Skyrim mod adds an underground city full of vampires